2 between Spain, Malta, Romania, Croatia
|Luis Grajal de Blas, Spain
|Gabriela Hurghis, Romania
|Martin-Tino Casl, Croatia
Collaborative project: ´Sharing
of information about social and cultural aspects of the countries
involved using English as vehicular language´.
IES PEREZ COMENDADOR:PLASENCIA. SPAIN.
´GANNI A. CILIA" PRIMARY SCHOOL, MGARR. MALTA.
NATIONAL COLLEGE ´URINEA´.BRASOV.ROMANIA.
OSNOVNA SKOLA KREATIVAN RAZVOJ S PRAVOM JAVNOSTI DEDICI, ZAGREB.CROATIA.
From March 2006 to June 2006.
Luis, Noel, Gabriela, Tino
In each school: Students aged between 10 and 12, except those
coming from Urinea school who were 15/16 years.
- Exchange information about local culture and traditions
using the English Language.
- Summarise data collected on a web site or a CD-Rom in
order to be used as a resource for cultural awareness and
language development of the students in our schools.
- Select social and cultural topics to be dealt with by
the students. A set of common topics were decided upon by
the head teachers during the workshop.
- Provide training to students in ICT tools such as creating
files and insert photos; sending files attached to an e-mail;
learning how to use print shop; convert a text file to a
- Students collect material about the chosen topics: historical
heritage, cultural traditions, music, gastronomy.
- Prepare write ups and other visual materials.
- Share the materials with other schools by means of e-mail.
- The students who prepared the material prepare questions
on the topics to be answered by the students in the other
- Diffuse the material coming from other schools among the
students, not only those involved in the research process
but also the rest of student population.
- Links among schools taking part in the projects were established
at all levels.
- Knowledge about the respective social and cultural contexts
was increased and/or reinforced. (Cross-curricular syllabus
- The materials produced are being used as an educational
resource to encourage students to make more use of the foreign
language (English) and promote awareness of other languages.
- Use of ICT in language learning: e.g. video files,
slides, PDF files, e-magazines,...
- Emphasis on developing materials based on the visual rather
than on other aspects in order to be appealing for our students.
- Improving communication abilities in the English language.
- Using ICT.
- Raising language awareness.
- Presenting information in several ways.
- Appreciating other cultures and traditions.
- Time frames provided at the beginning of the project -
the project is not yet finalised at the moment of presenting
the report because the production of the material took several
- Material exchange using e-mail: Files used to be too big
to be sent as e-mails attachments. The network members (head
teachers) are looking for other means of exchanging the
TO IMPROVE. LOOKING BACK …
- Direct communication among students involved in the experience:
it needs to be increased. It has been suggested the use
of videoconference as a way of overcoming the long distance
between partners. Students need/would like to get to know
their counterparts personally.
- Development of activities using e-learning facilities
like those provided by E TWINNING programme by European
- More realistic time frames.
- Emphasize the visual aspects to make more attractive presentations.
- Development of interactive activities in order to get
a more active learning.
FUTURE COLLABORATION. PLANNING AHEAD…
- Promote exchanges among students of the different schools
involved in the project, not only virtually but physically
too whenever possible.
- Develop a programme similar to the one described above,
aimed at showing all the activities held in each school
related to cross curricular topics as well as those connected
with culture and language awareness.
- Integrate our project in E-TWINNING framework.
- Produce and diffuse more materials based on images and
sound like the video files released during past year work.
- Diffuse all the materials produced in other schools close
to those involved in the project.