Self review questionnaire for Academic Management
The students' perspective - Managing Teaching
1. Are students tested for placement?
2. Is the placement reliable?
3. Does it include an oral test?
4. Do students learn in homogeneous groups?
5. Is it possible to move students to other groups?
6. Can the system of placement be presented in a coherent and transparent
Level system and curriculum
1. Do teachers have a copy of the level system or do they know where
to find it?
2. Do teachers have enough information about students' level before the
3. Do teachers know exactly what students will have to achieve in order
to move up one level?
4. Do students know what they have to achieve in order to move up one
5. Is the course programme available in writing?
6. Is the level system and the curriculum presented in a coherent and
Syllabus and scheme of work
1. Is the syllabus specified by reference to units of a coursebook?
2. Does the syllabus refer to all these areas: functions, grammar points,
3. Is the syllabus available to the teachers?
4. Is there a scheme of work proposed by the school management?
5. Do teachers keep record of their work?
6. Is the syllabus and teachers' scheme of work available in a coherent
and transparent way?
1. Is there a resource library available for teachers?
2. Does the selection of the resource library and of supplementary material
aid lesson preparation?
3. Does the selection of the resource library and of supplementary material
aid professional development?
5. Are the books and materials easily accessible?
6. Is the system of use for the resource library and supplementary materials
clear and transparent?
Exit testing and certification
1. Are exit tests suitable for the assessment of students' progress?
2. Are there different skills tested?
3. Are the tests available for teachers at the beginning of the course?
4. Do students receive a certificate at the end of each course?
5. Is the certificate used for reference at enrolment for the next level?
6. Are both students and teachers well informed about the system of testing
1. Is there a students' questionnaire handed out at the end of courses?
2. Is there a students' questionnaire handed out during courses?
3. Are students' feedback sheets filed?
4. Are comments taken into account?
5. Is students' feedback used in teachers' evaluation?
6. Are both students and teachers informed about the use of students'
The teachers' perspective - Managing the teaching staff
The Academic Manager
1. Is the AM qualified and experienced enough for the job?
2. How many teachers does s/he manage ?
3. Do teachers know when and how they can approach the AM with problems?
4. Is his/her level of authority clear to everybody?
5. Is there enough time allocated for the AM to carry out all the necessary
tasks of his/her the job as AM?
6. Are there headteachers or co-ordinators to help the AM?
Selecting and supervising teachers
1. Are teachers selected by on sufficient evidence of their professional
competence? (CV, interview, observation)
2. Are all your colleagues competent and well prepared for their jobs?
3. Are there regular lesson observations carried out by competent professionals?
4. Is feedback given after lesson observation?
5. Is it clear both to teachers and to the AM what lesson observations
and feedback are used for?
6. Is there a coherent and transparent system for assessing teachers'
Training and development
1. Is there a Training and Development Plan available?
2. Is it communicated and implemented?
3. Does it take teachers' real needs into account?
4. Are there possibilities for internal training?
5. Are there possibilities for external training?
6. Is teachers' professional development registered?